Monday, April 25, 2011

My quest for SAP installation

This blog i have started after i have decided to learn SAP BI. As already i am aware of SQL Server BI(Business Intelligence), i wanted to try something with SAP BI also. since long back i am trying to learn it, but i didn't get a chance to work on it and moreover i don't know where to learn it.

I tried learning myself by reading some books and tutorials, but where to practice it? In office, i can't get the access to SAP, because my primary work is different from SAP. So what to do? I have tried to install SAP in my personal laptop, but to get that software? I have searched the internet for almost 1 month for downloading it. I have searched through Torrents, Freeware sites, FTP download sites etc. Nowhere i found it.

After i created my account with SAP SDN, i came to know that we can download the trial version of SAP. Even i got the links too. But it's of ~4GB download, which version and what it will have. So i have stopped downloading and waiting for some suggestions. Later some time, i heared that, few people in Hyderabad will take some money and install in our Laptop or they will give a VM with SAP.

So, I felt this option seems good and tried to call few folks in Hyderabad who will do that. I got the responses from those people saying it costs around 1.5k to 2k for installation. I have decided to continue. But that person asked me which version of SAP i need.

Big question. Which version??

My mind is blank. Because i don't know which version will do what. My Roommates told SAP ECC 6.0 is good for learning. One of my roommate told that, his colleagues having the SAP image in his laptop, he can get it for me. In that case there is no point in spending 2k for buying SAP image from some unknown person. Unfortunately, one day my 1TB external HDD fallen down form sofa and broken. There is no chance for having 250GB of SAP image in my laptop. So i decided to wait till i buy a new HDD.

Two weeks back, i bought new External HDD of 1TB. It's WD passport elements. It's awesome and very small. As i got my new disk, i have started my quest again. Last Saturday, one of B.Tech college friend came to my room. He is searching for a job in SAP and he is having SAP installed in his machine. He is having the Ghost backup of SAP installed machine. Great!!! So i have decided to install from that backup image.

Now the big question is, how to restore a Ghost backup in to a VM??

No comments:

Post a Comment